Feminine health is a women’s gift. It is closely linked with our everyday lives.
“FemTech can help shift mindsets. We can become more aware, and take better charge of our feminine health.”
Feminine health matters are to be taken seriously. As a woman who suffered from debilitating menstrual cramps, periods are close to my heart in many ways.
Getting My Period
Not only have I lived through every period, experiencing her complete wrath and worry about how she may affect my day, many times I go through an emotional rollercoaster because of her.
The dreadful feeling when you are about to bleed, or when you are bleeding and cramping, turns into love when it is over. Suddenly, I am energised. I feel I can conquer the world.
It is also because of periods that I found a clear purpose and direction in the kind of impact I want to make.
“Where periods are viewed as a taboo, our access to information can impact women in different ways.”
Feminine Health Matters
Feminine health is a women’s gift. It is closely linked with our everyday lives. In this part of the world, we are blessed to have access to information and knowledge that many other parts of the world lack.
Where periods are viewed as a taboo, our access to information can impact women in different ways. By embracing this topic and acknowledging its importance, we have taken the first steps towards creating change where feminine health is largely overlooked.
Having sold over a million units of patent-pending heat relief patches for common pains faced by women, pslove launched its own period tracker app. Easy for women to keep up with their feminine health, it becomes convenient for us to deal better with our cycles, equipping us with knowledge about how female bodies work.
From the basic UI/UX standpoint, we try to be intuitive. Information on the user’s period is visually represented in a linear timeline, rather than a repeating cycle, as most women tend to count down to the number of days to their next period, which resets when ovulation is over.
Through machine learning algorithms, the app collates and analyses the user’s records, which gives accurate period predictions, useful insights, and an overview of what affects feminine health. The goal is to provide women with useful knowledge, empowering us to achieve more in our everyday lives.
For a pain-free, regular period:
- Make time to wind down. Don’t let stress overwhelm you. It can affect the regularity of your periods, sleep patterns, and cause other damages to the body.
- Exercise and manage a balanced diet. The old adage about living well is true. Take light walks regularly. They have proven to produce endorphins and ease period pains.
- Be prepared! Sensing when your period is coming helps to better plan your activities, avoid foods that may induce more pain (e.g. caffeine), even carry pain relief patches, just in case.
- Get support from your partner, family and friends. They can help when you need urgent supplies and experience mood changes.
- Ease into major changes in your lifestyle. A sudden change in habit can throw your whole cycle out of whack. That is why some women experience delayed periods when they travel. Take a stepped approach, gradually ease into lifestyle changes. These can help your body better adapt to change.
There are many causes of menstrual cramps in women. A common factor is having high levels of the prostaglandin hormone. This induces contraction in the uterine muscles, which therefore causes pain.
Other causes, which may require medical attention, include having fibroids in the uterine, and Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). If you experience very painful cramps, it is always good to get checked.
Globally, the FemTech market is estimated to be worth $50 billion by 2025. With many competitors in the same space depending on paid in-app content to sustain themselves, pslove is determined to keep all features free forever.
Whether it is providing information accessibility, products that contribute positively towards certain feminine health issues, or tools that can aid females in achieving certain health goals, FemTech can help shift mindsets. We can become more aware, and take better charge of our feminine health.